Over exposure to the sun can affect any area of skin left unprotected. Feet can sunburn, as can areas behind the ear, on the scalp, and more. What can you do to protect your feet and treat uncomfortable sunburn? Maintaining proper foot care in Manhattan, NY, will help patients that preventative measures to enjoy this summer season.
Summertime Foot Care in Manhattan, NY
When applying sunblock, do not skimp on the feet and ankles! Your feet can easily become sunburned and for those that are at the beach or poolside, know that running along the sand and seawater exposure can remove applied sunblock. Make sure to reapply as directed by your foot and ankle specialist in Manhattan, NY. Remember to cover the tops and bottom of feet as sunbathing can allow sun rays to hit any area of the foot.
When your feet are sunburned, remove them from additional sun exposure. Remember to:
- Cool the skin with cold compresses and avoid harsh soaps.
- Moisturize damp skin with lotion that is not oil-based.
- Hydrate with water and water-rich foods.
- Reduce inflammation with NSAIDs and a topical 1 percent OTC cortisone cream or aloe vera.
- Seek medical treatment with blistering and signs of fever, chills, or confusion.
- Avoid touch the affected area.
Your Silverstone Podiatry team want patients to be informed about proper foot care in Manhattan in order to prevent sunburns. If you have suffered a sunburn, blistering, or infection, call our Manhattan, NY, podiatry office for a convenient appointment.
The information provided above is meant to provide educational information and should not be referred to as medical advice. Our Manhattan, NY podiatry office staff are available to discuss your specific case needs.