Ankle Sprains Midtown, NY
Our Team Can Heal Your Condition
An ankle sprain occurs when the strong ligaments that support the ankle stretch beyond their limits and tear. Ankle sprains near Midtown, NY, are common injuries that occur among people of all ages. They range from mild to severe, depending upon how much damage there is to the ligaments.
Ankle sprains are commonly minor injuries that heal with home treatments like rest and applying ice. However, if your ankle is swollen and painful to walk on — or if you have trouble bearing weight on your ankle, be sure to see our foot doctors.
Ankle Sprain Causes
Your can injure your ankle during many different activities, such as:
- Walking or exercising on an uneven surface
- Falling down
- Participating in sports that require cutting actions or rolling and twisting of the foot — such as trail running, basketball, tennis, football, and soccer
- During sports activities, someone else may step on your foot while you are running, causing your foot to twist or roll to the side
Ankle Sprain Symptoms
A main symptom of a sprained ankle is pain, but you may also experience the following symptoms:
- Tenderness to touch
- Instability of the ankle
Most ankle sprains can be treated with conservative options. Even a complete ligament tear can heal without surgical repair if it is immobilized appropriately.
A three-phase program guides treatment for all ankle sprains, from mild to severe:
Phase 1 includes resting, protecting the ankle, and reducing the swelling.
Phase 2 includes restoring range of motion, strength, and flexibility.
Phase 3 includes maintenance exercises and the gradual return to light activities that do not require turning or twisting the ankle. This will be followed later by being able to do activities that require sharp, sudden turns (cutting activities)—such as tennis, basketball, or football. This three-phase treatment program may take just two weeks to complete for minor sprains or up to six to 12 weeks for more severe injuries.
For milder sprains, we may recommend:
- Rest your ankle by not walking on it
- Apply ice immediately to keep the swelling down. It can be used for 20 to 30 minutes, three or four times daily. Do not apply ice directly to your skin
- Compression dressings, bandages, or ace wraps will immobilize and support your injured ankle
- Elevate your ankle above the level of your heart as often as possible during the first 48 hours
Without proper treatment and rehabilitation, a more severe sprain can weaken your ankle—making it more likely that you will injure it again. Repeated ankle sprains can lead to long-term problems, including chronic ankle pain and arthritis. Schedule a consultation with our experienced podiatrists if you suspect you have an ankle sprain.
Call Us Today for Expert Treatment for Ankle Sprains Near Midtown, NY
To experience our award-winning podiatric care, schedule your New Patient Consultation today by calling (646) 657-0070. You may also click here for our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- Have All Your Questions Answered
- Complete Examination
- Custom Treatment Options
During your appointment, we will take the time to answer all your questions about our advanced treatments, cutting-edge technology, and anything else you may want to know about us!