Ankle Arthritis Treatment in Manhattan, NY
Our Surgeons Can Relieve Your Pain
Arthritis can cause pain in the joints and make it difficult to walk around. The most common types of arthritis in the ankles are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. If you have been suffering from arthritic ankle pain and haven’t found relief with nonsurgical methods, our specialists for ankle arthritis treatment in Manhattan, NY, offer surgical relief options.
Types of Arthritis
The most common types of arthritis that affect the joints of the ankles include:
Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis causes the cartilage in your joints to break down. This causes pain and can inhibit a joint’s ability to move. This is also known as degenerative joint disease or degenerative arthritis. Whatever you choose to call it, you are not alone if you suffer from osteoarthritis in your ankles. Approximately 27 million Americans live with osteoarthritis every day.
Rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes your body to mistakenly attack your joints in the same way it would fight off an infection. This causes inflammation in your joints, which can inhibit their mobility. If not treated, the inflammation can eventually cause the cartilage in your joints to break down, leading to significant pain and further hindrance to your mobility.
Rheumatoid arthritis afflicts approximately 1.5 million Americans. It can affect more than just your joints. It is crucial that you seek treatment right away if you believe you are suffering from this condition.
Arthritis Treatment Options
Conservative ankle arthritis treatment includes pain relievers, braces, special supportive shoes, and physical therapy. Surgical intervention can be used to address chronic cases that do not resolve with conservative treatments. These may include:
- Ankle fusion. During this procedure, the arthritic surfaces of the bone are removed and the remaining bone is fused together with plates and screws. While this procedure is extremely effective at providing pain relief, the patient will lose mobility of the ankle.
- Ankle arthroscopy. This is a minimally invasive procedure for milder cases of arthritis. Our surgeon makes a small incision in the ankle and uses a tiny camera to go into the ankle and remove bone debris or pieces of cartilage from the joint.
- Joint distraction arthroplasty. This procedure involves pulling the joint surfaces apart, then using pins and an external frame to hold the bones in place. It stimulates cartilage repair using bone marrow stem cells. The frame is worn for about three months, and then you are switched to a walking boot for the rest of your recovery.
- Joint replacement. Replacing the entire ankle joint is a complex procedure. This is typically performed on patients with advanced arthritis that has destroyed an extensive amount of the joint surface. Unlike ankle fusion, joint replacement preserves some mobility of the ankle. Our surgeon removes damaged cartilage, reshapes bone surfaces, and attaches an artificial joint using stabilizing bone grafts and screws.
Recovery & Aftercare
Recovery time depends on which surgery is best for your specific case. We recommend that patients stay off their feet for a certain period of time and avoid physical activity to ensure proper healing and optimal pain relief. During your consultation, Our doctor will provide details and specific aftercare instructions following your surgery.
Contact Us for Ankle Arthritis Treatment in Manhattan, NY, Today
To experience our award-winning podiatric care, schedule your New Patient Consultation today by calling (646) 657-0070. You may also click here for our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- Have All Your Questions Answered
- Complete Examination
- Custom Treatment Options
During your appointment, we will take the time to answer all your questions about our advanced treatments, cutting-edge technology, and anything else you may want to know about us!